LV=CC REPORT: Glamorgan vs Derbyshire 2015

Wednesday 6th May 2015
Written by Danny Painter

Derbyshire and Glamorgan played out a draw at the SWALEC Stadium after two of the four days were heavily affected by adverse weather.

It was, however, a memorable match for two Derbyshire players. Scott Elstone scored his maiden first-class century of 103 not out whilst Cricket Derbyshire Academy in partnership with the University of Derby graduate Matt Critchley made his first-class debut.

On a wet blustery day, Glamorgan won the toss and asked Derbyshire to bat first. The start had been delayed until 2.40pm because a patch of wet turf where the bowler would take off in his delivery at one end had developed under the covers.   Derbyshire had had to make five changes from their successful team in the previous match, four of them suffering from various niggles while Billy Godleman was suspended for the first of two matches. There was little more than an hour’s play on the first day before more rain brought an early close with Derbyshire on 47 for two.

The weather on the second day was much better and Ben Slater and Scott Elstone, playing his first first XI match of the season, added 101 together for the third wicket. Slater reached his fifty from 118 balls, while Elstone just missed out with an accomplished 48 from 83 balls. They were out within two balls of each other and this precipitated a disappointing end to the innings. From 132 for two Derbyshire lost their last eight wickets for only 73 runs.

Glamorgan had 48 overs left to bat after tea on the second day, but rain stopped play after only thirty-two of them had been bowled with Glamorgan having reached 84 for two. The third morning’s start was delayed for an hour following overnight rain, but only 5.5 overs were bowled before the rain returned and Derbyshire had taken two wickets.

The hosts then decided to declare in order to set up a game.

Play was scheduled to restart at 5.50pm, but various enquiries caused this to be delayed for more than ten minutes. With all the players on the field ready to start the umpires decided that the light was too bad and took the players off again.

As it happened the dreadful weather which had been forecast did not materialise, although the wind was unusually strong.   Overnight rain had delayed the start until 1.25pm and Derbyshire lost two wickets in the first thirteen overs. This brought together the out-of-form Wayne Madsen and Elstone. Glamorgan were bowling their overs much more quickly than in the first innings, even though the seamers bowled more than half of them. Any thoughts Glamorgan might have had of running through Derbyshire’s line-up were soon dashed.

Elstone played with assurance and some freedom and he reached his fifty from sixty-five balls and, from the last ball before Derbyshire declared, he made his maiden first-class century from 131 balls with eight fours and one six. Madsen used the opportunity to recover some of his form as he reached his own fifty from 112 balls (three fours).

The match, which had lost over 223 overs to the weather, finished predictably in a draw with both sides taking five points plus any bonus points they had gained. Derbyshire’s next championship match starts at Derby next Sunday against Northamptonshire.

Principal Partner & Ground Sponsor
Official Partners